If you are in the market for a basic website or blog, are on a budget, and like what you see here, let’s talk. First and foremost, I am not a web designer – I am a resource-constrained blogger who taught herself how to use the WordPress and Squarespace platforms out of necessity. I know enough to get a blog or website up, functional, and looking snazzy pretty quickly. I am not a web guru, though.
If you are in the market for something custom, I’m probably not the gal you are looking for. However, if you just want an attractive site that isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg, you want it quickly, and you don’t want to deal with learning about plugins, optimization, and basic css, then continue reading.
Here’s what I offer:
- To build your website on either the WordPress.org or Squarespace platforms;
- To use a pre-existing theme or template (depending on the platform) “out of the box” – you get to choose which one we use, or I can choose one for you;
- To set up your site so that it is fully functional, with your color themes, etc., and to do so quickly; AND
- To provide you with a tutorial detailing how to update your site with new content, as well as how to make minor changes, so that you aren’t reliant on my services long-term.
Here’s what you need to know:
How you will be charged:
- My rates – for simple projects, my flat rate is $250 + the fees listed below, which are entirely dependent on you. If you require ANY customization* in terms of layout or functionality, this rate WILL increase.
- Hosting rates – you will need to choose a platform and possibly a host for your website. Don’t worry – I’ll help you figure out what best meets your needs. The price will vary depending on the platform, and you will be responsible for paying your host directly. Again, I’ll help you with this (free of charge).
- Domain registry – you will pay Google Domains an annual fee of $12 to purchase a domain through them. This is a very reasonable rate! If you already have a domain through another registrar, that’s fine. I do not charge any fees in connection with your domain registry.
- Email – I highly recommend Google for your email@example.com email and cloud-based storage. It runs $5/month for one user and is really awesome. You don’t technically need this service, but it sure makes life easier! I do not charge any fees in connection with this service.
- Templates, plugins, etc. – depending on the platform you decide to go with, you may have the option to buy a gorgeous template or an awesome plugin to really make your site pop. While you can have a great site using free templates and plugins, you may want something more. All such additional costs will be your responsibility. I do not charge additional fees on top of any developer’s fees unless you require customization.
- Commerce – if you intend to sell products, you will face additional fees. There are multiple ways to go about doing this, and we’ll explore what makes the most sense for you. This would be considered a customized request, and is not included in my flat rate.
- Migration of or rebuilding an existing site – depending on the work involved, this may incur an additional charge. Please be sure to provide detailed information regarding your unique circumstances when dropping me a line.
*Customization encompasses anything that is not out-of-the-box and requires additional coding, paid fonts and the like, or plugins beyond those required for your theme. Customization does not include tweaking of colors (in most instances), uploading your logo, setting up a basic gallery, and setting your site up in a manner that is consistent with your theme’s demo version. If this is as clear as mud, no worries! We’ll talk.
I will provide you with a tutorial detailing what you will need to do and at what frequency so that you can keep your site maintained. Depending on your platform, you may need to update plugins, themes, etc. The tutorial will also include instructions for updating site-specific items like prices, adding new blog posts, etc.
Alternatively, you may hire me at the rate of $50 for 1-60 minutes of my time. This rate is subject to change, and any changes will be clearly noted on this page prior to them being incurred.
Sample Rate Table
This table represents what you can expect to pay for a site similar to this one on the WordPress platform. If you require less functionality or customization, Squarespace will run you less than half of these rates. [Note that I do not work with Wix, Weebly, or any of the free platforms like Blogger]. It is not your unique quote, but it should give you a rough idea of what you can expect. Also note that the monthly fee is also built into the annual fee.
- Basic website: $250, paid to me upfront
- Website hosting: $30/month, paid monthly directly to WPengine**
- Domain registry: $12/year, paid directly to Google
- Email and cloud storage: $5/month, paid directly to Google after services have been received
- Template: $49, paid directly to theme developer (optional)
- Essential Grid plugin: $28, paid directly to plugin developer (optional)
- Image optimization plugin: $1/month, paid directly to plugin developer
Total due upfront: $370***
Total due monthly: $36***
Total due annually:$444***
**I love WPengine for hosting because it’s super fast, reliable, and easy to work with. However, there are far cheaper hosting options available. Note that this is an affiliate link, meaning that I’ll receive a commission if you choose to purchase hosting through these guys. I chose WPengine long before I ever considered affiliate linking (and after much research following a bad experience elsewhere), and I’d recommend them regardless. Just sayin’.
***If you choose to go with Squarespace, your upfront fees would be reduced by (up to) $100, your monthly fees by (up to) $23, and your annual fees by (up to) $276. While this is great, your functionality will be limited. Depending on your needs, this may not make the slightest bit of difference.
If you would like a quote that is unique to your circumstances, please provide me with any information you deem relevant (including sample websites that you like) below. I will be in touch with you within 24-48 hours. Thanks!